Pediatrics & Family Medicine located in Texas City, TX & Pasadena, TX
We all experience sore throats from time to time, and while they often go away on their own, sometimes they’re indicative of a more serious illness. If someone in your family is suffering from a lingering or severe sore throat, get it checked out by the team at NAG Clinics, with a location in Texas City, Texas. NAG Clinics offers comprehensive urgent care services as well as compassionate pediatric care. There’s no better practice for your family than NAG Clinics. Call or book an appointment online today.
Sore Throat Q & A
What is a sore throat?
A sore throat qualifies as any sort of irritation, scratchiness, or general pain in the throat that intensifies when you swallow. A sore throat can also come with:
- Difficulty swallowing
- Trouble talking
- A hoarse voice
- Red and swollen tonsils
- Swollen and sore glands around the jaw or neck
- Pus or white patches on your tonsils
What causes a sore throat?
Sore throats are extremely common and have a diverse range of causes. The only way to know for sure what’s causing your sore throat is by visiting a doctor. Some of the most common causes of sore throats include:
- The common cold virus
- The flu virus
- The measles
- Croup (in children) Mononucleosis (known more commonly as mono)
- A bacterial infection like strep throat
- Air pollutants (smoke, smog, chemicals, etc.)
- Dry air
- Pre-existing illnesses and conditions
- Acid reflux
- Muscle strain
You’re more at risk for a sore throat if:
- You use tobacco products
- You have seasonal, dust, or dander allergies
- You work around chemical or airborne irritants
- You spend time in close quarters with other people, especially sick people or children
- You have a weakened immune system
When should I see a doctor about my sore throat?
If you or your child are experiencing any of the following symptoms or circumstances in conjunction with your sore throat, consider making an appointment to see a doctor.
- A lump in your neck
- A fever exceeding 101℉
- A sore throat lasting longer than a week
- Hoarseness that lasts longer than two weeks
- An extremely painful sore throat
- Trouble swallowing
- Joint pain
- Trouble opening your mouth
- Trouble breathing
- An earache
- Blood in your phlegm or saliva
A sore throat with an unknown cause can cause a lot of anxiety. If you or your child are suffering, reach out to the team at NAG Clinics. With an on-site lab testing facility at both office locations, the doctors at NAG Clinics can take a sample and immediately determine if you’re suffering from a virus like the flu, a serious infection, or a common cold.
Don’t let your painful sore throat linger any longer; call or book an appointment online with NAG Clinics today.